February 19, 2015 at 8:43 am #777
First of all, I’m participating for the first time so sorry if some of the questions seem a bit ”noobish”.
1) The MP3 link could be for instance at Soundcloud or is the link supposed to be ”less public-oriented”?
2) Should the MP3 be included in the archive upon uploading as well?
3) Why should only Buzz/Psycle/Modplug/MadTracker entries have the plug-ins attached in the archive, and not Renoise entries for instance? Or perhaps Renoise have a more ”internal system” so it isn’t needed? (I guess we’re not supposed to include the plug-ins provided for the sample pack once again in our uploads either way, correct me if I’m wrong.)
4) What exactly is your definition of ”Internal Tracker synthesis”?
5) Is it allowed to download and use presets of any of the plug-ins provided? For instance Tunefish 4 have a free pack here: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/tunefish-4-by-brain-control/downloads. I guess this is hard to control, as it is just practical settings within a synth either way?
Very inspiring theme and samples btw, I have just started composing here. 🙂
February 19, 2015 at 9:50 am #778
I have an additional question, is it OK to render an instrument from the plug-ins to sample?
February 19, 2015 at 3:19 pm #780
1: At least on the old platform SoundCloud was common for the mp3 link, should still be fine.
2: nope, just the compressed tracker file.
3: Psycle and Buzz don’t do any effects by default, everything is through plugins. Realistically though, I have never seen Psycle plugins anywhere other than included in the installation, though it wouldn’t be hard to write one, which you would have to include. Renoise includes standard effects internally and doesn’t have a processing api, so it doesn’t really make sense.
4: Some trackers (such as Psycle or Buzz) include some default synths with the install. These are disallowed, as are drawn samples. Basically all sounds must come from the pack (or vocal samples or thongs you recorded), though processing is not limited.
5: So long as the given synth is generating the sound they are fair game.
6: Rendering the plugins to sample is fair game, several people routinely do this so they can use heavy synths on weak computers.
February 19, 2015 at 3:38 pm #781
Thanks a lot for taking your time to answer, now all is crystal clear! At least for now. 🙂
February 19, 2015 at 8:27 pm #782
Welcome. Just to add to what Shadowbane has said:
1&2) I’m trying to remember when I beta-tested submissions but I believe that when you submit you will see a file upload dialog for both the source file and compressed audio file. Soundcloud/etc shouldn’t be necessary as all will be hosted on site.
I know this isn’t clear in the rules (which may have been ported over from the legacy) so we will have to ask Sonicade for clarification. Are the rendered submissions going to hosted on site for an integrated playback feature?
February 20, 2015 at 1:34 am #783
Yep you no longer need to provide an mp3 link, it’s part of the upload form during the submission process.
All is correct! Thanks for asking Chris and thanks Shadowbane & Directionless for following up with the answers!
February 20, 2015 at 11:37 am #785
Huge thumbs up for further clarifications folks!
February 20, 2015 at 4:47 pm #786
Thanks sb for the detailed response!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.